Sunday, May 5

Stream of Consiousness

Forgive me.  Sometimes not being organized is just right.

A few months ago I read "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg.  Key points came back to me today as I was traveling for work.  I am a very habitual traveler.  From the amount of time I like to be at the airport: 90 minutes, to my routine after security:  bathroom, Starbucks, wait at the gate, bathroom right before boarding.  I even realized that on my work trips I take the same flight to arrive at 2pm, drive one hour to the Premium Outlet Mall & power walk around until dark or closing.   One key point the book makes is that every habit has a "trigger" that you have learned automatically to respond to.  If you are looking to change a habit identifying that trigger is the first place to start.  I was having a hard time with making unhealthy food impulse buys.  I would ask James if we could eat at McAlister's so I can get a salad but then when the girl asks for my order I'm blurting out "FRENCH DIP!" ...    I think it is unfair to say that I've struggled with weight.  I lost a lot of weight with Weight Watchers, I just have hit a plateau that I can't seem to get off of.  I know it is the impulse food choices.  And not being more diligent about working out.  I was pondering this on the plane when I was thinking about my travel habits & I was reliving a recent experience - going to Starbucks to get a hot tea & then blurting out "GRANDE DIRTY CHAI" ... Who said that?  Ugh.  As the book suggested I was re-playing the event in my mind looking for clues.  I think I might have stumbled on a big trigger.  I think when I have poor posture I make poor decisions.  My unintentional Starbucks order came in the struggle of being saddled by bags, rain coat, etc.  I realized about a month ago that my once complimented posture was gone.  Making an effort to have excellent posture ripples out to the rest of life.  I tested out my new trigger on the plane.  When the flight attendant was taking drink orders I made a point to sit up straight & say to myself "you are the kind of woman who sits up straight because she takes care of herself" I had a momentary falter in self-discipline when the person in front of me ordered Dr.P.  But I LOVE DR. PEPPER! I WANT DR. PEPPER!  I HAVE A DRINK TICKET, I WANT A CORONA!  IT'S CINCO!  I managed to keep that crazy lady inside my head & repeat my little mantra.  What do you know, nothing crazy came out of my mouth & I was able to say "Club soda with lime."  No regrets on my order.  If my brain is so smart why hasn't it learned that I don't regret good food choices?  Why does it keep screaming Dr. Pepper at me?  I was on a roll.  When I landed in Philly I got a drink for the drive (wish I had taken a picture of the label so I could find it again) sparkling water with juice.  I power-walked tall around the outlet mall.  Because that's what healthy me does.  There is a fab salad place in the food court, which is what I had for dinner.  I again had to steel myself at the register for not ordering a sugary drink.  It's crazy that one tiny thing can have an impact on bigger things.   We'll have to see if this works or if this is a fluke for today only.  What's the worst that can happen?  I stand up straighter? 


The great Wen-xperiment has begun. 
First time using it my impressions were:
1)  It would be nice to only have to buy one product & not get irritated that I can never use shampoo at the same pace as conditioner
2) These directions are crazy!  Does this really need to be a 10 step process?
3)  Smells nice.
4)  After my hair air dried it was very soft, ends a little frizzy, roots looked ok but felt a little gummy
Second time impressions:
1)  Ditto
2)  OKOK I'll take the step "1-3 minutes of vigorous massage" more seriously
3)  I'll use more at the end as a leave-in conditioner
4)  After my hair air dried it was still very soft, little less frizzy, roots felt like fresh washed hair!  Guess the extra massage did the trick ;)


I guess I am loving it because I defiantly poured out travel shampoo to take Wen with me!


As I ate my lovely salad in my brand new Holiday Inn Express room (I should make a joke but I hate how cheesy their commercials are & then I'd be one of them),  I found old Sex & the City reruns on the Style network!  I watched the episode where Carrie won't marry Aidan & they breakup.  Really made me miss James.  He is such a sweetheart.  When you live with your best friend it's hard to be away from them for a week!  Maybe the shopping without his comments about saving money will make up for it a little ;)

And it's Cinco de Mayo & I'm alone in a hotel room business center.  With a salad.  Where are the margaritas?  Where's the party?  How is it almost 9 pm already????  For anyone out there drinking a margarita right now, please drink up for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment