Wednesday, July 17

Reflections

I'm not sure where I came across it... (lesbihonest probably Pinterest), but Jessica Alba wrote a book called "The Honest Life: Living Naturally and True to You."

I picked it up from the Library and was glad I did.  I've been recently trying to prioritize a more natural lifestyle.  One recent conviction revolves around some medical things that have popped up.  I've always felt better health wise when I make a priority to eat organic.

The book covers the following topics:

  • food
  • clean
  • beauty
  • style
  • home
  • baby
  • inspiration
Her personal inspiration for living naturally revolves around her kids, and so does much of the book.  I still found a lot of it relevant, I think my mommy-friends out there would probably get more enjoyment out of it.

My thoughts ~ 

I appreciated how honest Jessica is (ironic?) and she doesn't come off as "I only eat organic, it's easy I have a errand boy to go to the grocery store and a cook to make it" but as a down to earth working mom with kids.  She also prioritizes each chapter on the most important things to be natural and "keeping it real" good second-choices for those times when it is too difficult/ short on time for the natural version.  The book is not written in a judgy voice, she presents ingredients to stay away from and tips on how to live naturally.  She also peppers the book with fun how-to's along with each chapter from how to host a dinner party to perfect red lip.

I think it's hard for anyone to write a book when you have a company in the industry.  She does have a plug for The Honest Co. often.  It is not over the top, but that is a pet peeve of mine :) Some of the chapters were not earth-shattering.  I would recommend this book for someone who is considering making some natural changes or wanting to learn about strategies for the first time.

The chapter that most convicted me was the beauty chapter :)  She does admit that a lot of times we expect to sacrifice quality or cost to get natural products, but more companies are entering the market.  I do agree I should be careful what's going on my skin.  The book was lacking in that she says moisturizer/base layer makeup is most important because it's right next to your skin, she says she looks up her products on a data base that gives safety scores (ewg.org/skindeep) and aims for a 0-2.  That's it. What?  For an informational book that's not a lot of information!  Hopefully the database is more informational.  The chapter discussed each type of makeup & may have a brand recommendation, but the practical application was definitely missing!

Take aways~

I'm glad I got the book from the library, probably won't buy it.  I will bookmark some of the websites :) I will start taking a better look at cosmetics... I knew this was the case for food- but the EU has much stricter regulations for cosmetics as well.  I looked up some of the products I use (in the above link) a little scary!

Estee Lauder BB Cream - score of 7 !!
L'Oreal Power Volume 24 Hour Mascara - score of 4
The Balm Blush - score of 2

I don't plan on going all crazy, but as I run out of products I plan to be more conscious about the ones I use to replace them.  My strategy is to look for European brands that meet EU standards.

I found these fun links to the best French skincare (who wouldn't want to look Parisian?):
Goop post "The French Pharmacy"
Refinery 29 post "Do French Girls Really Do Beauty Better?"
Vogue UK post "10 French Pharmacy Buys"
Birchbox post "Beauty Trip: French Skincare Favorites"

Good news is a lot of the same brands/products were mentioned many times.  Can't wait to try!


No comments:

Post a Comment