Monday, July 1

New Summer Recipes

For some reason late spring / summer puts me in the mood to try new recipes!  I love cooking & experimenting in the kitchen! Maybe it's all the new fun looking seasonal produce or the fact it's not dark when I get off work anymore & my body isn't telling me to go to sleep :)  James enjoys cooking too, and although we are working through the "two chefs in the kitchen," it is great activity for us to enjoy together!

~Salmon Packets En Papillote~

I love cooking in packets!  So easy to prepare & clean up :)  I improvised from several websites using what we had on hand.  I also learned that this technique is called "en papillote" ~ how fancy! I am never saying packets again!

1) Coat foil (or parchment paper) packet with olive oil
2) Season salmon filets with salt, pepper & spice mix from Trader Joe's Dukkah
3) Layer lemon slices, salmon, lemon slices, chopped garlic & scallions
4) Drizzle olive oil & white wine on top
5) Seal up the packets like little tents with room for steam
6) Bake at 425 for 15 minutes


The seasonings made all the difference!  Lemon & pepper is perfect for summer :) 

 The side dish ~ Roasted Asparagus

The finished product!


~Grapefruit Cocktails~

I used a margarita recipe as my starting point.  In Texas many places will have grapefruit margaritas and I was craving one!  I could not find ruby red juice in the store :(  that would be my preference... but in the mental debate of best flavor & squeezing juice by hand vs. less flavor & drink sooner, the latter won out :)  If you do have fresh ruby red juice nearby, please use it!  Without the ruby red the drink was good but tart!  I enjoy a more tart beverage over sugary in the summer.

2 oz Grapefruit Juice
2 oz Tequila
2 oz Lemon Simple Syrup (recipe below)
1 Tbsp Lime Juice


My sweet cousin got us a party glassware set with wine, martini, beer & shot glasses!  It also included a fancy shaker/strainer with recipes on the side!  It was perfect for making the cocktails :)  Thanks Kara!


~Simple Syrup~

I wish this was a food group.  Or socially acceptable to drink on it's own :)  There are 1000 variations of a simple syrup recipe, I wanted to make lime for my tequila cocktail, but in MO it's hard to find produce sometimes and the lemons looked considerably more ripe.  I plan on making a batch of tea to use the rest of it with (if there is some left over!).  Simple syrup seriously takes 10 minutes & is the best 10 minutes you'll ever spend!  Not only do you get to lick the spoon :) but putting it in drinks vs. sweetener or sugar is INCREDIBLE!

Recipe credit:  Martha always knows best!

1 part water
1 part sugar
1 lemon zested & the juice

It's pretty simple, heat to boiling, stir often, cool down, strain & enjoy!



 I don't have a teeny strainer... this is my MacGyver approach!

Ready to make cocktails & tea ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment