Thursday, February 28

The Library

Not a college bar.  I am a nerd.  I love libraries!

The one by my house isn't pretty, it's kinda old, with weird lighting.  But I love the idea that I can walk to millions of books! :)  I'm pretty sure this isn't new or exciting, but with online catalogs & reservations I can browse for books when I'm bored at work & they will hold it for me at the front desk :)  That's service!  There are two designated "call to pickup" parking spots out front for the super lazy who can't even walk IN to the library to get their books.

AND the library has DVDs and all sorts of fun other material.  Like every Jillian Michaels DVD!

Where have I been????  How did I forget about the library???

Well thanks to Ms. Ashley I renewed my love with the library & got a fancy new card that fits on my keyring (like the CVS reward cards).

They even have an app where you can read ebooks for free.  Too bad my craigslist nook isn't new enough for apps...


Here were the results of my first few library trips!   For some reason I was drawn to blog/books...




1)  Young House Love by Sherry & John Petersik
This book was very fun & has great ideas.  I love how well it is organized by giving you approximate time & price to complete the projects.  The ideas are super creative!  I am glad I rented this book from the library instead of buying it because some of the projects weren't my style & most of the projects are from their experience of fixing up an older home.  I am not in that situation now, how many projects can I do in my tiny condo???  I found the projects around creating centerpieces or setting tables the most applicable.  If I ever do buy an older home that needs some fixing up this blog/book would be perfect!


2)  Cupcakes and Cashmere by Emily Schuman
This book would be a perfect present for a young lady graduating high school or college.  It was very cute and covered a wide variety of topics.  I found the subject material a little basic (hence the first statement).  For example one of the posts was how to pop a champagne cork.  Really?  I don't know if I'm friends with anyone who doesn't already know this.  Or how to set a basic table.  Really?  I'm pretty sure Mamma Kay had me doing that since I was 6.  The pictures were great & she has a very so-Cal style.  Maybe I'll buy this book for JJ.  The one idea I am planning on using was throwing an Oscar themed party, she had a recipe for fun star sugar cookies that were red & gold!


3) How to Look Expensive by Andrea Pomerantz Lustig
Or "why I spend money on the internet" :)  I really liked this book!  (<-- exclamation point!) She has a wonderful way of making the book relevant.  First she explains four "styles" Park Avenue Pretty (à la Jessica Chastain), Hollywood Boho (à la Rachel Bilson), Glam Globe-Trotter (à la Gisele) & Modern Movie Star (à la Reese Witherspoon).   Each chapter she makes suggestions of what hair, makeup, clothes, etc. based on your style.  The second awesome part of the book is for each chapter she interviews a celebrity expert & asks them how to get the best bang for your buck.  Yep, even the wax lady.  Each chapter ends with her/celebrity info on what looks expensive & what looks cheap.  I felt she was glamorous & still was in the ball park of the line between reasonable/expensive.  Don't you hate those magazines that are all "steals!" $300 skirt!  Yeah right.  Moving on ~ this book I may actually buy.  I don't know if I was blown-away by crazy new information, however this was one awesome encyclopedia to keep handy.  James would love it if I would stop hoarding old editions of InStyle....


Anyways I'm glad I liked these books so much ~ I forgot to return them & had to pay an $11 fine!! Oops :)  I wonder if that's tax-deductible...

No comments:

Post a Comment