Saturday, December 8

Time Well Spent

With all my free time not wedding planning I am wholeheartedly enjoying getting back to my favorite hobbies (notably reading, cooking, shopping & entertaining).

Reading ~ 

These two books I've read recently I would say are a must read!

The Paris Wife by Paula McClain:  written as mostly historical/biographical with fiction filling in the cracks.  It is about Ernest Hemmingway's first wife Hadley & their years in Paris.  Beautiful & tragic at the same time.

My Life in France by Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme:  Autobiography based on letters written by Julia & her husband during their time in Paris.  The book focuses on her love of all things French & her journey of being an acclaimed chef who pioneered the revolution of cooking in the US (away from TV dinners).

Both of the books were wonderfully inspirational.  Especially since both ladies found the adventures of the lives in their late 20's/ early 30's.   And I am now obsessed with Paris.  Trip anyone?? :)

I would not say it is a must read because everyone does not appreciate Russian novels (the Russians don't like them either), but I am re-reading Anna Karenina after seeing the movie.  I would not say the movie is a literal adaptation, it was beautiful and fascinating in its own way.   If you do decide to read it, do get the P&V translation!

Cooking ~

Thanks to Julia Child for the inspiration & for my sweet friend Erika for getting me a new cookbook (a good friend finds a classy way of finding a birthday present for you that says "I know you like to eat, enjoy!" haha).   I made a recipe from Sunday Brunch by Betty Rosbottom.

Berries with Lemon Creme Fraiche!  (it's French & fabulous)
The bacon is there because I live with a man now.  Apparently fruit & creme isn't "breakfast".


We tried to make our own copy-cat recipe for the BLT & Peppercorn salad at Pi Pizzeria!  It turned out really good despite James' heavy hand with the red onions ;)  



Entertaining ~ 

On Friday evening some lovely ladies came over to eat desserts, drink champagne & watch Liz & Dick.  Yes I DVR'd a Lifetime movie... but I really love Elizabeth Taylor!!!   The company, cookies & champagne were fabulous... the movie was lacking (probably acting ability).  But I did love all the fur coats :)  And I do feel inspired to use a red lip / heavy eyeliner look soon!   I used my new Neimans + Target dessert plates!!!  And made Laura Bush's Cowboy Cookies.  Always delicious!






Shopping ~ 

... more to come soon!! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment